If you’re looking for a fresh start in life, you could do worse than heading to northern Europe, as a recent report reveals Scandinavian countries have the best quality of life in the world.
The 2017 Social Progress Index measures 50 different indicators to create a clear picture about what daily life is like in 128 countries. They cover a broad range of topics but can generally be filed under three categories; basic human needs, foundations of wellbeing and opportunity.
Researchers say this is the best and most nuanced measurement of quality of life available. Here are the top 10 countries they found topped the charts.
1. Denmark has an almost perfect score for water & sanitation.
2. Finland has some of the best nutrition in the world.
3. Iceland comes top in the world for freedom of expression.
4. Norway is one of the safest countries in the word.
5. Switzerland ranks highly for its environment.
6. Canada, on average women in Canada remain in school for nearly 16 years.
7. The Netherlands has one of the lowest rates of homophobia in the world.
8. Sweden has some of the safest roads, with a very low number of traffic deaths per year.
9. Australia was singled out for freedom of religion and politics.
10. New Zealand 100% of people here own mobile phones.
This article was first published in Lonely Planet Travel News