These are the terms that govern your use of this site. There’s some important stuff you really need to know, because these terms apply to your participation in our online community (whether you’re registered, contributing content or just browsing). We may change these terms now and then (and may or may not let you know we have), so check them regularly. That’s all for now.
Using our site:
These terms govern your use of lonelyplanet.com (the site), so please read them carefully. The terms may change from time to time, so check them regularly.
No commercial use of this site is permitted. You may use the site for personal, non-commercial purposes only.
If you are under the age of 18 you need your parents’ permission before using the site or registering.
Our Community Guidelines apply to your use of the site, so read them.
Lonely Planet trademarks and copyright
All content, information, photographs, graphics, and software (herein after ‘content’) available on the site is owned by Lonely Planet Publications Pty Ltd (us) or licensed to us by our registered users and other licensees. All content, information, photographs, graphics, and software available on the site’s sub-domain (www.lonelyplanet.in /magazine) is owned by Lonely Planet Publications Pty Ltd (us) or by its authorized licensee Worldwide Media Private Limited, an Indian company. The content is protected by applicable copyright laws and regulations. You may not copy, distribute, reproduce, commercialize, create derivative works, or use and monetarily benefit from use of any part of our site without permission.
Our trade marks (including the Lonely Planet and Thorn Tree trade marks) are our registered trademarks and may not be used in any way or for any purpose without our permission.
More information about our intellectual property, can be found here.
Contributing to the site
If you engage with someone else’s application on the site (e.g. using or posting content on the application), an independent legal relationship is formed between you and the application provider. An application provider may impose terms on your use of their application. You are therefore requested to refer to the application providers’ terms and policies. Lonely Planet is not liable for any data, information or communication link made available or hosted by the application provider.
You agree that all of your contribution to the site is your own work and confirm that the same does not infringe upon anyone’s intellectual property rights. You license us the non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide rights to host, store, reproduce, communicate, edit, adapt, publish, publicly display, distribute or otherwise use any content you upload to the site, including any feedback that you submit through the site, via third party applications available through the site, on the site and in our other products (your content). This includes the right to sublicense to others at our discretion.
You also consent to your content being altered, edited or adapted for such uses, or to ensure your content does not infringe these terms or breach the law, as we see fit. Although we generally attribute you as the author, it’s not always possible. So you consent to us not attributing authorship to you, or only attributing your registered ‘handle’. We will ask you before publishing your real name.
Prohibited content. You understand and consent that you are not authorized to host, display, upload, modify, publish, transmit, update or share content that breaches any laws or rights, including by:
- breaching any intellectual property rights;
- belonging to another person and to which you do not have any right to;
- harming minors in anyway;
- impersonating another person;
- containing software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer resource;
- being grossly harmful, harassing, blasphemous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, paedophilic, libellous, invasive of another’s privacy, , or racially, ethnically objectionable, disparaging, relating or encouraging money laundering or gambling, or otherwise unlawful in any manner whatever;
- threatening the unity, integrity, defence, security or sovereignty of India, friendly relations with foreign states, or public order or causes incitement to the commission of any cognisable offence or prevents investigation of any offence or is insulting any other nation.
Removal of content and termination of accounts
We may immediately terminate or suspend your registration (and any future accounts), access or usage rights to the computer resources if you have breached the terms and remove non-compliant information.
You can choose to opt-out of using our Services at any time and remove content you wish to be taken down.
IF YOU BELIEVE ANY CONTENT ON OUR SITE INFRINGES THESE TERMS, PLEASE USE THE REPORT ABUSE FUNCTION AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE SITE.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information when you register or email us are: administering the site, sending you a password, contacting you about your content and keeping in touch with you.
You can access and update your personal information in the ‘profile’ section at any time.
We may disclose information about you to our authors (some of whom work on contract to us) and other Lonely Planet companies. If your content breaches these terms or the law, we may pass your details and IP address on to a law enforcement agency. Don’t worry, we won’t sell your contact details to marketing companies for spamming!
In case you suffer as a result of access or usage of computer resource by any person in violation of the above, you can notify your complaints against such access or usage of computer resource or other matters pertaining to the computer resources to email@example.com.
Liability and Disclaimer
- (a) own all of the work you upload to the Site or have the permission from the owner of the content to upload it;
- (b) be able to grant Lonely Planet the rights under these Terms and Conditions (so, for example, you cannot grant us exclusive rights if you have already granted someone else exclusive rights); and
- (c) obtain the consent of the owner of any work incorporated into the content you upload on the Site;
because serious legal consequences can happen to you, Lonely Planet, and other parties if you do not (like legal action for infringement).
You indemnify Lonely Planet against all losses, costs and expenses directly incurred by Lonely Planet, in connection with a demand, allegation, action, proceeding or claim that you do not own all of your work, you are not able to grant Lonely Planet rights or you do not have the consent of an owner to incorporate their work into yours. Lonely Planet must take reasonable steps to mitigate its loss.
THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO END USERS WHO LIVE IN INDIA AND OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA, THE UK AND THE EU:
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, LIABILITY, COST OR EXPENSE SUFFERED IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SITE OR ANY CONTENT OR SERVICES AVAILABLE VIA THE SITE. THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS”. THE INFORMATION ON THIS SITE IS GENERAL AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS. YOUR SHOULD VERIFY CRUCIAL INFORMATION (LIKE ADVICE ABOUT VISAS AND HEALTH AND SAFETY) INDEPEDENTLY BEFORE YOU TRAVEL.
WE MAKE NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SITE OR ITS CONTENT AND EXCLUDE, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ANY LIABILITY WHICH MAY ARISE AS A RESULT OF THEIR USE. WE WILL NEVER BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS, OR LOSS OF PROFITS OR REVENUE ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OUR WEBSITE. YOU INDEMNIFY LONELY PLANET AGAINST EACH CLAIM, ACTION, PROCEEDING, JUDGMENT, DAMAGE, LOSS, EXPENSE OR LIABILITY INCURRED OR SUFFERED BY, OR BROUGHT, MADE OR RECOVERED AGAINST US IN CONNECTION WITH ANY BREACH BY YOU OF THESE TERMS.
Nothing in this Agreement excludes liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence, or liability for fraudulent misrepresentation. Subject to the previous sentence, our liability to you under this Agreement is limited to resupply of the content or services accessed via the site.
THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO END USERS WHO LIVE IN AUSTRALIA, THE UK AND THE EU:
WE USE REASONABLE CARE AND SKILL TO ENSURE THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON THE SITE. INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE SITE MAY NOT BE FULLY ACCURATE AND IS PROVIDED “AS IS”.
However, certain laws also provide non-excludable statutory guarantees, conditions or warranties for the supply of certain goods or services. Nothing in this Agreement is to be taken to exclude, restrict or modify any guarantee, condition or warranty that Lonely Planet is prohibited by law from excluding restricting or modifying.
Subject to your rights under law (which cannot be excluded), Lonely Planet:
- DOES NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT THE SITE WILL BE 100% ACCURATE OR CONTINUOUS AT ALL TIMES. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE SITE IS GENERAL AND MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS; and
- is not responsible for:
- loss that was not reasonably foreseeable;
- loss that was not caused by Lonely Planet’s breach of contract or by Lonely Planet’s negligence;
- business losses (such as lost data, lost profits or business interruptions) or loss suffered by non-consumers;
- losses caused by factors which could reasonably be considered to be outside Lonely Planet’s control (such as faults in third party equipment); and
- any loss caused, or contributed to, by your breach of contract or your negligence.
Subject to the above paragraph, Lonely Planet is responsible for:
- loss suffered by you as a result of a serious breach of contract by Lonely Planet if the loss was reasonably foreseeable by both you and Lonely Planet when this Agreement was entered into; and
- damage to property caused by Lonely Planet’s negligence if the loss was reasonably foreseeable at the time when this Agreement was entered into.
- verify critical information (like advice about visas and health and safety) independently before you travel; and
- take all necessary steps to minimise the extent of any loss you may suffer in accordance with this Agreement, and you must notify Lonely Planet in writing of your loss within 30 days.
Any legal issues will be dealt with under the laws of Victoria, Australia.